A Last Hurrah to Raasay…part 4

So ….as you may have already guessed….I suffered no ill consequences from my encounter with the puking lady. Although, I did secretly worry for several days!

Our first view of snow capped mountains just outside Callander

Our journey north from thereon was quiet and uneventful. Although, as yet the country was not in lockdown the roads were quiet and unusually we saw hardly any other motorhomers.

Unusually quiet road in Glencoe.

It was still comparatively early in the year so campsites that were open were far and few between. Gary identified a relatively new one at Fort Augustus that would only mean a short deviation from our usual route. So we headed there for our final stop over en route.

Waterfall at Glencoe

As ever, as we drove further north deeper and higher into the Scottish highlands we began to feel that sense of elation and joy which the Scottish mountain landscape engenders. However, this time it was muted by our growing concern about the news coming from Italy about the impact of the coronavirus.

We arrived at Fort Augustus in the late afternoon. The campsite, which was just one part of the Loch Ness Highland resort, was easy to find and was well signed. It was a much larger and far more commercial site than we usually choose but there were only three or four other outfits camping and the site was very quiet. As the toilet facilities, were also for the use of the glamping pods which surrounded the camping ground I would think they might be somewhat overstretched at the height of the season

Loch Ness Highland Resort

Another bonus was that the campsite was only a very short walk from the centre of Fort Augustus. It was over 30 years since we had last been there…with Nanny and Grandad…Gary’s mum and dad. It seemed much smaller than I remembered and much much quieter for a Saturday night than we expected.

The Lock Inn, Fort Augustus

We had a couple of drinks in the Lock Inn which was quite busy and had several groups coming in for food which did look lovely, but we had food waiting to be cooked back at the van.

We had decided that we wanted to catch the 1: 30 ferry the next day from Sconser to Raasay and so had ….for us …an early start and left by about 10 o clock the next morning and soon were whizzing our way towards Skye and Raasay and the dangerous Auntie Sue.

Kyleakin, Skye from Kyle of Lochalsh

The weather had not been great for most of our journey either drizzle or overcast but as we reached the Kyle of Lochalsh the sun burst out to greet our entrance to the wonderful island of Skye.

Kyle of Lochalsh hotel with Skye in the background. This was where I used to get the ferry before the bridge was built.

On the road from Fort Augustus it had seemed touch and go as to whether we would make it in time to Sconser. If we missed that ferry we would have to kick our heels to the next and last one at 5:30. But we did it and with about 30 minutes to spare.

Unusually the ferry was already loading as we pulled up. This was because there was a large LPG tanker on the ferry and it took the ferry men quite sometime to firmly lash it to the deck. It was a good job we were early as the ferry was a much smaller one than is usually used for the Sconser Raasay crossing and there was only just enough space for us and one or two cars behind the tanker.

Raasay and our journeys end was finally in sight.

The view of Raasay from Sconser.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s