A Sad Adieu to Raasay and a Dangerous Sister

A well wrapped up Sue, at the war memorial on Raasay.

Time has sped past since we entered the land of lockdown and our last trip away to visit my Dangerous Sister, Granny Sue on Raasay. As mentioned previously we had to overcome so many obstacles including floods and breakdowns that we did wonder if the Gods were telling us to stay at home. With hindsight I am so pleased that we pressed on. We treasure our memorable 5 days spent with her which most probably will have been the last for a very long time due to the current restrictions.

The lamp!

Sue was obviously pleased to see us and delighted that we had managed to stash her lamp in the Van’s bathroom and that it had survived the 450 mile journey unscathed. As you can see from the photograph this wasn’t just a table lamp but a huge 5 foot piece of rather delicate equipment! It did look rather beautiful though in pride of place beside her new fireplace and stove.

As ever, the weather for those 5 days was not great. In fact it rained just about all day every day. But that didn’t stop us having at least a little walk most days.

The view from the war memorial.
Snow topped Cuiillins on Skye from Raasay

The best day, weatherwise was the day before we left. We walked up to the old ironstone mine workings, crossed the Inverarish burn by the waterfall and then along the track known as the Burma road before dropping back down to Inverarish passing the Old Manse on the way.

View from The Burma Road
Me, on the rather boggy Burma Road.
Inverarish burn

Sue also took us to a spoil heap where a large amount of beautifully preserved fossils had been inadvertently unearthed.

Our final stop off was at the Old Manse , a magnificent building and now a rather grand holiday home, where we bumped into one of Sue’s friends and neighbours, Lynne Rowe.

The Old Manse ….with lots of car parking space

Lynne was rather distracted by how Raasay House and Outdoor Centre which she had helped develop and rebuild and was the director of would cope if the country was placed in lockdown and how all the permanent staff could be paid and looked after. Lynne had seen Raasay House through many different phases including a complete rebuild after it was gutted by fire. Clearly, the impact of the virus was beginning to have an adverse impact on businesses in the Highlands even though the lockdown had yet to be announced.

Raasay House today
Raasay House just after the fire

Each day we saw the terrible and frightening news of the virus’s impact upon countries like Italy. No decision had been taken yet in the UK to meet the challenge that the virus would make in our health service once it became widespread here but the government began its daily update whilst we were still on the island.

Our pregnant daughter was beginning to be worried that if a lockdown came we could be stranded far away from her. So we decided to cut our holiday short and return home as quickly as we could.

As we considered our options around our imminent departure, to our great dismay, we saw that 2 of the new tyres on our van looked rather flat. We had had all the tyres replaced the day before we left Leeds at a cost of over £550! We thought that if we could get them pumped up we could probably make it to the nearest garage on Skye at Broadford. A mere 20 minute ferry ride and then a 15 mile drive away! What a disastrous venture this trip was turning out to be!

However, we were just about to experience the friendliness and community spirit that Sue had spoken of so often.

A very definitely flat looking tyre.

As I despondently trudged back to Sue’s house I bumped into David her neighbour, Lynne Rowe’s son in law, who also works at Raasay House as an Outdoor Activities instructor. I explained our predicament and he unsuccessfully tried to find a tyre inflator in his shed to lend to us.

But that wasn’t the end of the story as he immediately rang Neil the island’s postman and asked if we could borrow his electric inflator.

It was Neil’s day off, nonetheless he still very kindly drove to our van and attached his pump to the apparently flat tyre.

The tyre turned out to be not so flat after all. It seemed that all the tyres had been under inflated by the mechanics at the garage by about 15psi. This has happened before as some mechanics don’t realise that as a motorhome the tyres need to be at a higher pressure as they are carrying a heavier load. So after a few whizzes with his inflator the tyres were up to a more comfortable pressure of 75 psi.

We were very grateful to Neil for his help and offered to buy him a bottle of whisky as a thank you. Surprisingly, for a Scotsman he wasn’t a whiskey drinker and happily accepted a bottle of vodka instead!

The following day dawned bright and sunny, the best day of the lot. At about 12:00 we said our sad goodbyes to Sue and set off for the 12:30 ferry This should allow us to get a few miles under our belt before we stopped for the night. We hoped to get as far as Killin.

But our travel related trials and tribulations were far from over. It is just a 5 minute drive along a narrow road from Sue’s house to the ferry port with no passing or turning places for large vehicles like our van.We thought 30 minutes was a more than long enough safety margin for catching the ferry.

Surprise! Surprise! There in front of us blocking the road was a cherry picker with a workman atop mending the school road sign!

No way could we squeeze through the gap or turn round.However, luckily for us the workmen were kindly gents! They brought the cherry picker down, decamped the van removing various clamps and restraints and moved the whole lot into the entrance to the Raasay Community centre a few yards ahead.

We made it to the ferry with plenty of time and were first in the queue with a lovely view of Skye.

We were full of mixed emotions. We were sad to be leaving Sue alone and Raasay behind but were anxious about the spread of the coronavirus and were concerned about what form any sanctions or restrictions the government might make. Plus, we also knew that our daughter wanted us safely home.

Overall it was definitely time to head for home….

And that is exactly what we did!

4 thoughts on “A Sad Adieu to Raasay and a Dangerous Sister

  1. And good job you did come home as 3 days later we went into lockdown!! But glad you got to see Sue as like you said who knows when we can all travel again!! Xx

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s